Goodbye, House

"Well, Grammie," said SammyGene in the most grown up voice his 9-year old self could muster, "we have to go now."
I produced my sad face.
"I know. It's sad," he said.
"And SammyGene, it's the last time we will gather in this house," I said.
And we both cried.
"Tell me what you'll miss, Sammy; let's see how we might bring it with us."
We walked the half-acre of my little piece of the historic district of Singers Glen VA. With solutions for the needs resolved, we could now look at what made the house a home, the place where we visit Gramma. The outdoor wrought iron-looking picnic table; we moved it to the front so it wouldn't be missed on moving day.
"And the bird feeders. Grammie, you have to feed the birds....And the wind chimes; I like to hear them sing."
A daughter would miss the built-in baking hutch in the kitchen, and the cubbies where she put her things we she came to visit. A granddaughter would miss her "hidey-hole", a hiding spot under the stairs where, with a book light or flashlight, she liked to read.
And we found ways to take all the things with us--literally and creatively.The table, wind chimes and bird feeders can be moved as is.
For the baking hutch, I found an antique Hoosier that just needs a paint job.

For the cubbies, I am building an "entry way" with bench, cubby-holes, and coat hooks near the front door (photo to come later).
For the streams the boys loved to play in, a granddaughter will help me build a pond.
For the "hidey hole"...well, if I told you how I will bring that along, it would no longer be a "hidey-hole", would it? But I do have a plan, and a masterful one at that.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moved In: July 2021

Synthesis, symbiosis, synergy, and serendipity!

Stake Outs